Time: 2 hours
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 lb extra lean ground beef
2 cups kale, coarsely chopped
1 package of baby Portobello mushrooms, chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
3 carrots, coarsely chopped
1 sweet onion, coarsely chopped
2 bulbs garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 Russet potatoes
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1.5 cups of 1% milk
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon of black pepper
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pour olive oil into a large pot heat. Heat over medium heat.
- Brown ground beef and kale. Remove from pot.
- Brown mushrooms in pot. Remove from pot.
- Sauté carrots, celery and onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushroom, beef and kale back to pot. Add 2 cups of water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove contents of pot; strain stock from meat mixture.
- Butter a 9×13” casserole dish. Add meat and vegetable mixture to casserole dish.
- In pot, add 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add two tablespoons of flour and whisk thoroughly. Continue to cook until brown and bubbly and a golden color.
- Add stock to butter/flour mixture; whisk together. Simmer until thick, 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once gravy is thick, pour over meat mixture in casserole dish.
Crust & Finishing Directions
- Peel potatoes. Add to pot, cover in cold water and 1tsp of salt. Boil until tender.
- Remove potatoes from pot, add chopped cauliflower and boil until tender. 20 minutes.
- Drain water from cauliflower. Leave in pot. Add potatoes to pot
- Mash potatoes and cauliflower. Add milk until you get the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mashed potatoes over meat mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top.
- Put in preheated oven at 350 degrees; for 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is browned.